Gul Daad Khan Wiki – Gul Daad Khan Biography
Gul Daad Khan was a father-of-six, who died after falling into a recycling baling machine which had many safety features disabled, an inquest heard.
Daad Khan was working long hours at a sprawling back-street site in Digbeth, Birmingham where workers claimed they were earning just over £3 an hour.
He was 38 years old.
Gul Daad Khan Died
He died in the horror accident on October 12, 2016, at the Liverpool Street site after falling into a baling machine he was trying to unblock.
The land is owned by Cardboard 4 Cash Ltd, which changed its name in 2018 to C4C Investments Ltd.
An inquest heard the baling machine in question was being leased by Cardboard 4 Cash to another recycling firm, Mr Recycle Ltd.
This firm operated on land at the Liverpool Street site, which was bought by Cardboard 4 Cash Ltd in 2014 for £631,000.
The inquest was told many safety features on the baler had been disabled, no risk assessments had been carried out and no safety equipment was provided to employees.
These findings were not linked to any specific firm.
An investigation was launched by the Health and Safety Executive following the tragedy on October 12 in 2016.
Yet almost four years on and no one has faced any action over the death in an industry which has seen at least 19 workers killed since 2017.
The chilling details of the tragedy were revealed at the inquest which stated the official cause of death as ‘crush asphyxia’.
Mr Khan had climbed onto the top of the huge baler, used to crush cardboard, after it had become blocked but fell into the machine and suffered fatal injuries.
James Bennett Statement
In his written record of the inquest, then-assistant coroner James Bennett said: ‘The baler had become blocked due to overloading with cardboard. In an attempt to clear the blockage, the deceased climbed onto the top of the baler. He fell into the machine, which then continued to operate.’
The coroner listed a string of ‘contributory’ issues to the death.
‘Many safety features of the baler had been disabled. The baler had not been maintained,’ he said.
‘No actions had been taken in response to safety concerns raised in prior Health & Safety audits. No risk assessments had been carried out. There is no safe systems of work were in place for general working, or for clearing blockages.
‘No training had been carried out. No supervision was in place. Visibility around the baler was poor. No safety equipment was provided to the employees. Wet cardboard was a tripping hazard.’