Donald Rumsfeld Wiki – Donald Rumsfeld Bio
Donald Rumsfeld was the former U.S. Secretary of Defense under George W. Bush whose involvement in the Iraq War made him a polarizing political figure. Rumsfeld is dead at the age of 88.
Rumsfeld’s family confirmed his death in a statement posted to his official Twitter page.
It reads, “A statement from the family of Donald Rumsfeld.”
“It is with deep sadness that we share the news of the passing of Donald Rumsfeld, an American statesman and devoted husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather. At 88, he was surrounded by family in his beloved Taos, New Mexico.”
He was 88 years old.
Donald Rumsfeld Died
Former US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, one of the main architects of the Iraq war, has died at the age of 88, his family has announced.
Serving under President George W Bush, he was a leading proponent of the administration’s “war on terror”.
US forces launched a campaign in Afghanistan after the 9/11 attacks. In 2003 the US invaded Iraq.
He died at his home in the town of Taos, New Mexico.
Ahead of the invasion of Iraq in March 2003, Mr. Rumsfeld vocally made the case for such an attack.
He argued that the Iraqi weapons of mass destruction posed a danger to the world, but no such weapons were ever found.
Rumsfeld held many prominent positions in government.
“Donald H. Rumsfeld served as the 21st Secretary of Defense from January 2001 to December 2006. Before assuming this post, the former Navy pilot had also served as the 13th Secretary of Defense, White House Chief of Staff, U.S. Ambassador to NATO, U.S. Congressman and chief executive officer of two Fortune 500 companies,” his government bio reads.
“Mr. Rumsfeld served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of General Instrument Corporation from 1990 to 1993, a leader in broadband transmission, distribution, and access control technologies. Until being sworn in as the 21st Secretary of Defense, Mr. Rumsfeld served as Chairman of the Board of Gilead Sciences, Inc., a pharmaceutical company.”
His federal posts included the following:
* Member of the President’s General Advisory Committee on Arms Control (1982 – 1986);
* Special Presidential Envoy on the Law of the Sea Treaty (1982 – 1983);
* A Senior Advisor to the President’s Panel on Strategic Systems (1983 – 1984);
* Member of the U.S. Joint Advisory Commission on U.S./Japan Relations (1983 – 1984);
* Special Presidential Envoy to the Middle East (1983 – 1984);
* Member of the National Commission on Public Service (1987 – 1990);
* The Member of the National Economic Commission (1988 – 1989);
* Member of the Board of Visitors of the National Defense University (1988 – 1992);
* The Member of the Commission on U.S./Japan Relations (1989 – 1991); and
* Member of the U.S. Trade Deficit Review Commission (1999 – 2000).
Wife And Children
In December 1954, Rumsfeld married Joyce H Pierson.
Rumsfeld and Pierson met while attending Case Western Reserve University School of Law and Georgetown University Law Center.
The couple has three children together, Valerie, Donald, and Marcy.
They also have six grandchildren and one great grand-child.
His net worth is approximately $20 million.