David Faiivae Wiki – David Faiivae Biography
David Faiivae is a California deputy trainee who collapsed and nearly died after he was exposed to fentanyl. Footage shows Faiivae collapsing after being exposed to opioid while processing drugs during an arrest in San Marcos.
He was saved by his field training officer Corporal Scott Crane, who administered Narcan, a drug that reverses overdoses, and kept Faiivae breathing after the incident on July 3.
His age is unclear.
David Faiivae Collapses to Fentanyl
San Diego sheriff’s Deputy David Faiivae was shown examining the white powder in a car last month, with his training officer, Corporal Scott Crane, telling him, “That stuff’s no joke, it is super dangerous,” according to a video put out by police as a warning.
As Crane tells him he is “too close,” Faiivae suddenly stiffens up — and collapses on the ground, the bodycam footage released Thursday shows.
“He was ODing,” Crane recalled later, with the footage showing the trainee lying rigid on the ground from the accidental exposure.
“I got you, OK? I’m not gonna let you die,” Crane tells him, putting Narcan in both of the officer’s nostrils to try to reverse the effects of the synthetic opioid that can be 100 times more potent than morphine.
While the department did not detail exactly how the officer is thought to have been exposed, fentanyl can be released into the air as fine particles, which can be deadly if inhaled, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Faiivae got emotional as he recalled how it all happened “in an instant.”
“I remember just not feeling right, and then I fall back,” he said. “It was as though my lungs locked up. I couldn’t breathe. I was trying to gasp for breath but I couldn’t breathe at all,” he said.